2013 Concert Round-up:
- Number of concerts: 29
- Number of bands: 18
- Most frequently seen band: Stone Temple Pilots (x4)
2013 Favorite Pics:
1-2. Chester Bennington & Mike Shinoda with the crowd at the end of Linkin Park’s show at Planet Hollywood Las Vegas (2.16.13): Not just two of my favorite pictures of 2013, but in fact, two of my favorite pictures I’ve ever taken.
3. Nikki Sixx with his bass guitar flame thrower during Motley Crue’s Intimate Evening in Hell residency at The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas (9.28.13).
4. Jon Bon Jovi from the third row at Bon Jovi’s show this summer at Giants Stadium (7.27.13). Bon Jovi was my favorite band growing up, and so many of my very favorite memories have some connection with the band. I always told myself that someday I’d drop a pile of cash to be up close and personal at one of their shows, so when a third row ticket popped up one night randomly on Ticketmaster, I didn’t think twice about grabbing it!
5-6. Stone Temple Pilots toured with Chester Bennington on vocals this fall, and I attended all the shows that could be reached via public-ish transportation — sketchy casino buses from the Port Authority to the Bethlehem Sands (PA) and to the House of Blues Atlantic City (NJ), Long Island Railroad to The Paramount in Huntington (NY), and JetBlue to the Freemont Street Experience in Las Vegas (NV). (The Vegas show was a happy coincidence — I’d already been planning for months to be in town that weekend for the Motley Crue show.) I *love* Chester with this band!
7. The Roc was still alive during "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" at Kanye West’s Yeezus show at Madison Square Garden (11.24.13).
8. This is Sean McCann from a band from Newfoundland called Great Big Sea. The band’s been together for 20 years, and I’ve been going out to see them for the last 15 years. I’m pretty sure I’ve dragged every single one of my friends to one of their shows at one point or another, and never has a bad time been had. Shortly before I saw the show where I took this picture — at Tarrytown Music Hall (11.22.13) — Sean announced that this would be his last tour with the band. His voice is a miracle, and I will miss seeing him sing terribly.
9-10. I saw P!NK twice this month — first at Barclays Center in Brooklyn (12.09.13) and then at Prudential Center in Newark (12.11.13). She’s absolutely extraordinary live — athletic and gracious and entertaining and she sounds great. She’s also damn photogenic. I don’t think I got single bad picture of her in two shows of singing and dancing and flying and acrobatics. I love her.
(Source: Flickr / imsiobhan)